This post was first published on the Team Counties blog. To read more from this blog, visit: www.www.teamcounties.wordpress.com
All too often we associate leadership with a position of authority, however there are many people in our organisation, in non managerial roles, who consistently demonstrate exceptional leadership qualities. Despite this, most leadership training continues to be aimed at those already in management positions. This is where the Ko Awatea Leadership Academy differs. Designed for emerging multi-disciplinary leaders (clinical, managerial and support staff), the programme is aimed at building leadership capability throughout the organisation and creating a pipeline of highly capable, innovative and engaging leaders who have the skills and passion to lead health system transformation into the future.
We launched the Academy in May 2013 by opening up applications for the first component of the Leadership Academy: the Fundamentals of Leadership Course. The response was fantastic with over 90 people registering their interest. What really stood out were the broad range of professions, cultures and levels of experience that applicants had.
The course consisted of 12 sessions held over six days with topics ranging from finance and human resources to strategy and systems theory, diversity and reflective practice. The sessions were delivered by a wide range of respected external experts including Nigel Latta (writer and forensic psychologist), Robin Gould (Author and Associate Professor of Health Policy at Otago University) and Pat Sneddon (Chair of the Joint Venture Partnership) paired with some of our own experts from CM Health.
Feedback from the presenters has been extremely positive with many complimentary comments about the commitment and enthusiasm of the participants. On a personal note the course has confirmed my belief that we have a wealth of talent working at CM Health.
So what happens next? The Fundamentals of Leadership Course was a pre-requisite to the more intensive part of the Academy: the Core Leadership Development Programme. This component will take place over the next eight to 10 months and will provide participants with an intensive leadership development programme with mentoring, tailored learning sets and focussed modules. Applicants from the Fundamentals of Leadership Course and the Aspiring Leaders programmes have been invited to apply for the Core Leadership Development Programme and an assessment centre is being held on 9 September to select the first Leadership Academy ‘Fellows’.
It has been an absolute privilege to be involved in the Leadership Academy. It’s an exciting programme with great energy that not only benefits participants but also provides positive gains for CM Health into the future.
- “The course provided an opportunity to consolidate prior knowledge and acquire new knowledge, which I am looking forward to applying in my role.”
- “As a relative newbie to the organization, the Fundamentals of Leadership Course really helped me put faces to names and it was a fantastic opportunity to network with colleagues I would not usually meet in my role. “
- “I have added the Improvement Science approaches to my ‘toolkit’. I am now much more likely to approach our Improvement Advisors for support and look forward to developing my own capability in this area and integrating this approach to my project and programme management”.
- “The topics were incredibly diverse and went from understanding what motivates you as a person to improvement science methodologies and looking at health systems in different countries.”
- “The calibre of speakers was amazing.”
I also want to share this quote on leadership which is attributed to John Quincy Adams: “If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
Manager, Centre for Workforce and Leadership Capability