Entries open for New Zealand Innovators Awards
What does the electric fence, the disposable hypodermic syringe, the whistle and the egg beater all have in common? They all shaped the world as we know it today and had an impact on the way we have grown and developed as a country. These are our own kiwi innovations, built and developed in our own backyard.
The New Zealand Innovator Awards, which are now open for entries, aims to celebrate and recognise innovations such as these.
Awards convener Louise Webster says “we continually punch above our weight on global stage, yet many of our innovations go unrecognised. That’s why the New Zealand Innovators Awards are so important. We want to recognise not only the innovation but the innovators – the people behind the scenes, and showcase their achievements to the nation. ”.
Bayer New Zealand is once again the main sponsor of the Awards, which are also supported by Idealog Magazine, Ideas Accelerator and the New Zealand Innovation Council.
Bayer New Zealand Ltd managing director Patricia Castle says sponsoring the New Zealand Innovators Awards is a natural fit for the company. “At Bayer innovation is very important to us. In fact, we see it as key to future growth and success. Globally we spend more than NZ$ 5 billion on research and development and employ more than 12,000 people in research roles”.
“In New Zealand we have our own Centre for Innovation and Development focused on improving animal health. Supporting the New Zealand Innovators Awards is an extension of our commitment to innovation and to recognising the value of New Zealand innovators.”
This year’s New Zealand Innovators Awards have several categories across a wide sector of industry and business.
Award categories for 2013
There are eight awards for innovation excellence in industry:
- Innovation in Design and Engineering (now includes manufacturing)
- Innovation in Sustainability and Clean-tech
- Innovation in Environment and Agriculture
- Innovation in Health and Science
- Innovation in Hospitality, Food and Beverage
- Innovation in Information Communications Technology
- Innovation in Marketing and Communications
- Innovation in Media, Music and Entertainment
…and five awards for innovation excellence in business:
- Bayer New Zealand – Supreme New Zealand Innovator
- Emerging New Zealand Innovator (pre-commercial)
- Most Inspiring Individual
- Innovation Excellence in Research
- Export Innovator of the Year
Will your innovation shape the world in 2013 and beyond?
Find out by sharing your great kiwi innovation, invention, product or service. To enter now or to nominate someone for entry into the awards, go to www.innovators.org.nz
Entries close, Tuesday August 20.